Temporary Motorhome Insurance

Short term motorhome cover available,1-30 days instant comprehensive cover available, Get multiple quotes from panel of UK brokers

Compare Temporary Motorhome Insurance

A Temporary Motorhome insurance policy is perfect for those looking cover for a short period of time. This makes it possible for the motorhome to be legally on UK roads for the  period of time you plan to be in and using the vehicle.

temporary motorhome insurance

What is temporary motorhome insurance?

Motorhome insurance is financial protection for your home on wheels so that you can use it. This type of cover is best suited for those owners that only use the motorhome for short periods and only once or twice a year. Temporary motorhome is a different product than static caravan insurance UK, as motorhomes are on the road and need extra road risk cover.

Who needs temporary motorhome insurance?

This is for a person or group of people that plan on using an RV or a campervan  for a short period of time. The average time length of this temporary policy is from 1 hour to 30 days. Some insurance firms have a time period of coverage from 1 day to 28 days.

This short term insurance policy is also preferred by the owner that only uses their mobile home for a very short time each year, like a single holiday outing once a year. It can also be used to transport a new campervan to your property and allows time to set up a long term insurance policy without rushing it.

What are the advantages of taking out short term cover

  • Instant coverage once the premium is paid and the contract signed.
  • Time of cover is only what you need, no overpay for time periods you do not need.
  • Making a claim does not affect any other insurance policy you might have, including the No Claims Discount.
  • More than one driver can be named in the policy
  • There is European breakdown cover if needed.
  • If additional time is needed, the policy can be extended.
  • Once the time period ends, the policy ends. There is no long term contract or requirements.

Do I need to own the motorhome to get a Temporary Policy?

No, you can own the vehicle, but it is not a requirement to take out an insurance policy. What is required is that the person taking out the policy has permission to use the vehicle. This can be a rental unit or a vehicle being borrowed from a family member or friend.

What level of cover is a temporary motorhome insurance?

The standard policy has comprehensive coverage. This is full coverage against any possible problem or accident so that the vehicle is protected and will be repaired if necessary.

Some insurance firms do offer Third Party Fire and Theft policies, but this is not standard and must be requested.

This type of policy covers the motorhome when it is being operated in the road by the named driver in the policy. It also protects the vehicle when it is stationary or parked.

How to reduce the cost of temporary motorhome Insurance

  • Only covers the time period you need. This can be for a short as 1 hour or as long as 30 days.
  • The named driver should be over the age of 25 and under 65 with a clean driving and criminal record.
  • The named driver should be licensed to operate the size of motorhome being used and be a UK resident.
  • Take out the policy ahead of time generally reduces the cost of the premium. This type of discount is available from some insurance firms when the policy is taken out 20 or more days before it is needed.
  • Increase the voluntary excess amount.
  • Know how far you will travel and report that amount accurately to the insurance firm.

How much does Temporary Motorhome Insurance cost?

An annual policy the costs averages between £700 to £3000 depending on the size and class of the motorhome. The cost of the temporary motorhome insurance policy is dependent on the time period to be covered. It can be as low as £50 and as high as £500 for most clients. The standard excess, depending on the type of motorhome being covered, is from £250 to £350.

Reasons to use Temporary Motorhome Insurance

  • This type of policy is ideal for the person who just purchased a motorhome and needs to transport it either to their residence or a caravan park.
  • The  owner only uses the vehicle once a year for less than a month.
  • The is being rented or borrowed for less than 30 days.
  • The is being moved from one location to another.

What are the Requirements to take out a Temporary Motorhome Insurance Policy?

The named driver must be a UK resident and between the ages of 22 and 75. Some insurance firms do allow for licensed drivers as young 19 to take out a policy, but the premiums are higher than what an older driver would pay.

The policy is only for leisure and social purposes. It cannot be used for business purposes.

Payment of the policy in full must be made before the insurance certificate is issued.

The motorhome has a value of £75,000 or less.

To operate a motorised campervan home on the roads in the UK and EU, vehicle insurance is required by law. By taking out short term cover, the vehicle will be legal to operate on the road for only the time period set by the operator, saving them money by not covering days or even months unnecessarily.

Scroll to Top